26 April 2013

apron and pockets


I really really need to remember to take before pictures!!

I started this apron in 2010 after the workshop with India Flint in Switzerland. It was a way to mark the stepping into the botanical dyeing world. I would adorn this while doing any dye work. Its kind of my uniform I suppose. It is also my first, very experimental piece of a completely handmade garment.

Last year, I made a few changes to it buy adding an opening to tie up where previously there was none. (Excitement of the making can often distract from thinking of functionality).

Recently I have felt the need for more pockets and again a better, easier way of wearing it.
So. I added extra panels on the sides, strips to tie at the back nicely, an extra length on the back for not particular reason, and of course, pockets. And although I am sure it will keep evolving, I am quite pleased with it as it is now.


It seemed appropriate to add a piece from the workshop that inspired the apron. This one is a grape leaf I think.

Wool pocket with Eucalyptus and plum cherry print. 

The shirt I am wearing underneath is one of my favourite plain tunic shirts. Last December it started to look a little too plain. And extreme boredom caused me to pick it up and add some stitched details to it as well as darts on the front and back. How the fact that it was one size too big, had eluded me, I have no idea.








No comments:

Post a Comment